Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Qoute Response # 4

Should Students Be Paid for Good Grades?
By Laura Fitzpatrick
http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1871528,00.html

New Words:

“And the participants who were first offered cash incentives in spring 2004 — and thus whose progress was tracked for longer than that of subsequent groups before Hurricane Katrina abruptly forced researchers to suspend the survey for several months in August 2005 — were also more likely than their peers to be enrolled in college a year after they had finished the two-term program.”

Definition entries for new words from Longman Advanced Dictionary:

- Subsequent: coming after or following something else. 2. After something.
- Abruptly: sudden and unexpressive

Explain what the words mean in the way they are used in the sentence you chose:

The word subsequent is shown to explain that it is being followed by other groups. For example, this is before the following of the Hurricane Katrina therefore it helps explain how the word subsequent is used and how it clears up by confusion. And in the word abruptly it is said that they were forced to suspend the survey so it means that it was all of a sudden unexpectedly I could see this word also meaning like a surprise or something that was not expected like the survey to be all of the sudden canceled.

New Idea:

“Students offered cash incentives in the Louisiana program didn't just enroll in more classes; they earned more credits and were more likely to attain a C average than were non participants.”

With this idea it shows me that there is many ways to convince students to attend school and even stay longer in school. This is a good way to prove professors and people around that there is a motivation in students to keep attending students and that there is nothing that could now stop us as students to receive more credits and to show a improvement academically. This is also a way that Louisiana could improve their standing in their education percentages and to show that it is a good thing to have a program that motivates students to take more classes as to getting paid for attending and receiving a passing grade. I would personally participate in a program like this and I am sure that my grades would be higher then what they are now simply because I know I will receive an award for it.

Tie in:

“Faced with soaring bills for tuition, books and housing, many college students need a job just to get by. In the Louisiana program, all the participants were low-income parents, three-quarters of whom were unmarried or living without a partner.”

In this economy I know I can use this type of extra money in my pocket I as well pay for bills, books and housing. It could be difficult in time to pay all those things in just few hours I work or the amount I am receiving in this moment. With the Louisiana program I am sure that it will motivate me to receive better grades and be able to stay in the standards needed to get pain for attending school and meeting the right requirements. These things prove that I go to work everyday because I need money to pay bills therefore I know that I am going to get rewarded back so I this program well help me maintain my self motivated specially because I know that I need the money and what a better way to receive it .

No comments:

Post a Comment